SAP HANA® Cloud Platform is an in-memory cloud platform for today’s increasingly networked, mobile, social, and data-driven world. Based on open standards, it provides access to a feature-rich, easy-to-use Development environment in the cloud. As the only cloud platform built on the SAP HANA platform, it powers the real-time applications companies need to succeed in business today.
SAP HANA Cloud Platform lets you rapidly build, deploy, and manage a variety of cloud-based applications that complement and extend your SAP® and non-SAP solutions, either on premise or on demand. SAP HANA Cloud Platform is built to offer support for multiple cloud development environments and runtimes with a variety of platform services.
SAP HANA App Services technology provides developers with multiple languages and frameworks to build next-generation applications, such as Java-based cloud applications that natively integrate with your on-premise software. The technology also includes:
- Services that specifically support native development for SAP HANA, SAP HANA Cloud Integration technology, mobile solutions, collaboration, analytics and SAP HANA Cloud Portal
- Runtime and tools for Java
- Shared services for SAP HANA Cloud Platform, including persistency, connectivity, and identity services
SAP HANA DBServices technology provides access to SAP HANA in the cloud, such as the SAP HANA One service, a joint offering with Amazon Web Services (AWS) designed specifically to provide SAP HANA DBServices. Other services Include:
- In-memory database
- Data services
- Predictive analytics
- Information modelling
The infrastructure layer within SAP HANA Cloud Platform supports complete lifecycle management, Including:
- Infrastructure monitoring
- Usage and billing
- Integration with back-end systems running SAP software
- Compliance with industry security standards
Differentiating SAP HANA Cloud Platform from other competitive platform offerings:
- Highly scalable, reliable, and secure platform – certified to meet the latest industry cloud standards – for building, deploying, and managing mission-critical, cloud-based enterprise business applications.
- Native connectivity to back-end enterprise business content, including content from SAP and non-SAP solutions, whether running in the cloud or on premise.
- Leveraging of the real-time, in-memory computing technology and embedded analytics of the SAP HANA database, enabling the kinds of applications not possible on other business platforms.
As of the spring of 2013, SAP NetWeaver® Cloud – the Java-based development environment, runtime, and shared platform services from SAP – was merged with and is now part of SAP HANA Cloud Platform, a next-generation cloud platform based on breakthrough in-memory technology. The development and runtime services and tools for Java continue to be available with SAP HANA Cloud Platform. The same shared services are offered as were available with the former SAP NetWeaver Cloud, including persistency, connectivity, and identity services. The same foundational infrastructure services continue to be available with SAP HANA Cloud Platform
The platform is designed for three types of users:
- Developers who want to rapidly build, deploy, and manage applications in the cloud using an open, standards-based platform, and receive all the development resources and tools they need, including a free developer license.
- Executives and mid-level IT managers at SAP customers that want to build and deploy customized, cloud-based business applications to increase their business agility and maintain a competitive advantage while reducing total cost of ownership.
- SAP partners (system integrators, independent software vendors, value-added resellers,OEMs, and solution providers) who want to build and extend a successful cloud business by selling pre packaged cloud applications to SAP customers
Customers, partners, and SAP are all building a wide variety of cloud-based applications with SAP HANA Cloud Platform. Examples include: A patient portal for hospitals, a real-time traffic management system for a municipal port authority, a nutrition portal for consumers, fan engagement applications for national sporting teams, virtual-shopping mobile apps for retailers, a customer engagement tool for sales representatives, and an online car-accessory configurator. These Applications are mobile-ready Web and portal applications that bring together unstructured and structured business and social content with minimal IT involvement and disruption to existing systems.
The pricing of SAP HANA Cloud Platform is based on a resource-consumption model. Specifically, enterprise customers building custom applications can consume system resources up to the amount for which they are licensed. Five metrics determine the capacity consumed:
- Computing resources (memory and virtual CPU cores)
- Structured storage (relational database management system or SAP HANA database)
- Unstructured storage (storage space and transactions)
- Number of non-SAP systems that are connected via a connectivity service (no charge for SAP systems)
- Bandwidth (egress only)
Customers can choose how much of each resource they want, or they can opt for preconfigured “soft bundles” starting at less than €370 per month.
Customers subscribing to partner-developed apps also pay for the system resources consumed. Additionally, they may pay a software-as-a-service subscription fee to a partner. These fees and the fee structure are determined solely by the partner.
SAP HANA Cloud Platform, which serves as the foundation for the full portfolio of cloud solutions from SAP, is a component o f the S AP HANA Enterprise Cloud Service.
Where can I get more information – including answers to technical Questions – about SAP HANA Cloud Platform?